Honeybee Benefits Plan Member Resources

Get the most out of your health benefits. Honeybee has resources and answers to frequently asked questions so you can use your benefits plan.

Download Claim Submission Guide
General Questions about Honeybee
Where can I find out what is covered under my plan?

Your coverage information can be found in the “Coverage” section of your Honeybee app. You can also find your coverage information online within the Honeybee Benefits Plan Member portal, www.myhoneybee.com.

Where do I find my Honeybee Benefits Card?

Eligible Honeybee plan members have a digital Benefit Card in the section “Coverage” and subsection “Benefit Cards” of your Honeybee App. The Benefits Card contains important information, including a Claiming ID number for you and your dependent(s). To use your Benefit Card, simply show your card to your healthcare provider.

Effective August 1st, each dependent under your plan was given a unique claiming ID. Please ensure you provide the correct information to your provider for each of your dependents.

Travel numbers and contact information is also included on Benefit Cards, where applicable.

Note: Members who only have Health and Allowance accounts (i.e., not a medical plan) aren’t eligible for a Benefit Card.

How can I enrol in Honeybee Benefits?

Click here to read the Plan Member Enrolment guide.

What happens if I do not complete my enrolment within the Enrolment Period?

If you do not complete your enrolment within the defined Enrolment Period, you will be defaulted to the lowest cost medical and dental plans (if applicable) and will be enrolled with single coverage.

What happens if I forget my Honeybee Benefits password?

You can reset your password online by clicking “Forgot Your Details?” on www.myhoneybee.com or on the log in page of the Honeybee app.

How do I make changes to my information?

Moving? Getting married? Having a baby? Or making another change affecting your health benefit plan? Make sure you notify Honeybee within 31 days of the change!

You can make changes online such as address changes, banking information, or contact information through your Honeybee Benefits online portal, or your Honeybee App.

Adding or removing a dependant must be processed by using the Employee Change Form. You can also find the “Employee Change Form” in the “Standard Forms” section of your Honeybee Plan Member Portal. Please complete this form and email it to changes@benecaid.com. A member of our Service Team will reply back once your account has been updated.

What is a Honeybee Allowance Account?

The Honeybee Allowance Account is a spending account funded by the employer that you can use for special lifestyle expenses. These accounts are used by employers to provide benefits that go above and beyond what is traditionally offered in a benefits plan. Allowance Accounts are designed to represent each company’s unique culture, and may include one or more categories with a monthly limit.

What is a Honeybee Health Account?

The Honeybee Health Account is a spending account funded by the employer that you can use for medical expenses. Health Accounts are a popular way to provide flexible benefits that are tax-free for the employee. Each Health Account is different, but may include medical and dental coverage as well as additional funding that can be used for vision expenses (such as prescription glasses or contact lenses), paramedical expenses (such as massage therapy or psychotherapy/counselling) and other eligible expenses. Click here for a full list.

What's the difference between a Honeybee Health Account and an Allowance Account?

Employees can use Honeybee Health Account funds to pay for eligible health and dental expenses. Click here to see a list of eligible expenses.

Honeybee Allowance Account funds can be used on a wide array of unique benefits such as wellness, fitness, education, kids, pets, transportation and more. These categories are defined by the employer.

FAQ: Coverage
Is there paramedical coverage in my Honeybee account?

Yes, as long as the paramedical service/product is rendered by a Licensed Medical Practitioner. Please note that what constitutes as a Licensed Medical Practitioner differs by province/territory for the purposes of claiming medical expense. For example, while massage services may be covered in Ontario, they are not covered in Manitoba.

What is a licensed medical practitioner?

Licensed medical practitioners differ based on each province or territory. However, they are defined as anyone who meets the following criteria:
– Legally allowed to render the service to the individual in the province where the service took place
– Legally certified to perform such a service in the province where the individual resides
– If applicable, is legally licensed to issue a prescription to the individual in the province where the individual resides as well as the province where the prescription is filled

Does my Honeybee plan include vision coverage?

The Honeybee Health Account can be used for a wide variety of vision expenses, including prescription glasses, contact lenses, visits to the optometrist, and even laser eye surgery! Honeybee plans are configured to be as flexible as possible, so that every employee can use their benefits in the way that best suits their unique needs. Some employees will have no vision needs and can use their flexible Health dollars for something else. Other employees may have lots of vision expenses, and they can use more of their Health dollars towards these. This is how we ensure that every employee can get the most out of their benefits.

Does my Honeybee plan cover pre-existing conditions?

In most situations, yes! Honeybee health accounts, medical plans and dental plans all cover pre-existing conditions. Many Honeybee insurance products also provide coverage for pre-existing conditions, including life insurance, dependent life insurance, and accidental death & dismemberment insurance. Unfortunately, short- and long-term disability and critical illness insurance do not.

Please keep in mind that while your condition may be covered, it is possible that your drug or treatment may not be. For information specific to your unique situation, we recommend reaching out to the Honeybee Customer Care team at 1-866-626-6642.

FAQ: Claims
How do I submit an eligible claim?

Click here to read the guide on how to submit a claim. Please ensure that you are submitting claims within the submission time period as required by your plan.

To find out the status of a specific claim, please contact our Customer Care team Monday – Friday 8:30 am – 5:00 pm ET toll-free 1-866-626-6642 or e-mail help@myhoneybee.com.

How long will it take to have my claim processed?

We aim to process claims both quickly and accurately. Although most of our claims are processed within a few days, please allow 10-15 business days from when we receive your claim for it to be processed.
We will notify you via email once your claim has been processed. Please allow an additional 2-5 business days for the funds to be deposited into your bank account.

To find out the status of a specific claim, please contact our Customer Care team Monday – Friday
8:30am – 5:00pm ET toll-free 1-866-626-6642 or e-mail help@myhoneybee.com.

Why was only part of my claim paid or reimbursed?

An Explanation of Benefits is included with each claim submission. This statement shows the detail of the processed claim(s) and the amount eligible and reimbursed. For claims that were not paid in their entirety, please refer to the code listed next to the expense within the EOB. This code will correspond to the notes section at the bottom of your EOB. The notes section will provide more detail on the claim reimbursement.

Claims can be partially reimbursed due to co-insurance levels, service or procedure maximums outlined in your coverage, or the claim might not be eligible. You can find the details of specific coverage within your Summary of Benefits, this can be found online through the Honeybee Benefits portal.

For more information or to discuss a specific claim, please contact our Customer Care team Monday – Friday 8:30 am – 5:00 pm ET toll-free 1-866-626-6642 or e-mail help@myhoneybee.com.

What is a deductible?

A deductible is the amount of money that you will be responsible for paying before your coverage will kick in. For example, you have $500 of annual prescription drug costs and a $200 deductible, you will be reimbursed for the last $300 spent after having paid an initial $200 out of pocket.

One way Honeybee allows employees to lower the cost of their individual plan is to choose a high deductible. What the employee spends out of pocket can then be claimed for reimbursement under their Honeybee Health Account. For Honeybee members who anticipate low prescription drug costs, this is often a good way to save their Honeybee Health Account dollars for other health expenses.

What is co-insurance?

Co-insurance is the percentage amount of the cost of a service that an insurance provider will pay to cover your health care costs. It exists in addition to any deductibles.

For example, 80% co-insurance would mean that after the deductible has been satisfied, your plan would cover up to $160 of a $200 bill (80%) and you would then be responsible for the remaining $40. This amount paid out of your pocket can then be claimed for reimbursement under your Honeybee Health Account.

Where can I find a list of eligible expenses that can be reimbursed through a Honeybee Health Account (HSA)?

Click here to see expenses that are eligible to be reimbursed through your Health Spending Account (HSA). This list is in accordance with the rules governing the Medical Tax Benefit and is subject to change. Please note that authorized medical practitioners differ based on province or territory.

FAQ: Travel Coverage
Where can I find out what is covered through my Honeybee travel coverage?

To see your travel coverage information, click on the “Coverage” page of your Honeybee app, subsection “Coverage” and then “Travel Coverage”.

Do I need to notify Honeybee before I go on a trip?

You do not need to notify Honeybee prior to travelling out of the country or province. Our travel claims are processed through Global Excel Management (GEM); on their website, they have useful tips for Canadians when travelling. We would recommend you review these tips prior to travelling. You can find a link to their website here: https://www.globalexcelservices.com/claiming-faq/.

Before you travel please ensure that you bring a copy of your Benecaid benefits card which has the emergency contact numbers and your policy number in case of emergency medical care.

What is the contact information that I can use when I’m travelling?

You and your eligible dependent(s) must bring your Benecaid Benefits Card while travelling outside your province/territory of residence in case a medical emergency arises. Emergency contact phone numbers are available on your Benecaid Benefits Card.

Global Excel Management must be contacted by calling the numbers included on the card, prior to any services or treatment received.

Travel Emergency – Canada & USA: 1-888-332-3044
Travel Emergency – Anywhere else call collect: 0-519-988-0934

How do I submit a claim for a medical expense incurred while traveling outside of my province or country?

Out-of-country/province travel claims are processed through our partner Global Excel. To access their claim forms and details of the claim process visit their website: https://www.globalexcel.com/gsc.